Chocolate chip muffins
(makes 12 muffins)
250g plain flour
100g caster sugar
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
175ml whole milk
75ml vegetable oil (or sunflower oil)
200g chocolate chips
3 tbsp caster sugar & 2 tbsp dark brown soft sugar (for the tops)
- Preheat the oven to 200 C / Gas 6. Line a 12-hole muffin tray with paper cases.
- In a medium/large bowl, combine the flour, caster sugar, baking powder and salt using a handheld mixer.
- In a small bowl or jug, add the milk, oil and egg and mix well.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry mix and whisk until combined.
- Add the chocolate chips and stir in with a spoon/spatula.
- Fill cases 2/3 full with batter mix.
- Sprinkle the tops of the muffins before baking with the combination of 3 tbsp caster sugar and 2 tbsp dark brown soft sugar.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Cool 1 minute before removing from tin.
- They’re best eaten warm, but if you want to add decoration, wait until they are cooled and pipe a small rose of buttercream on the top and sprinkle with more chocolate chips.
- If serving the next day, pop one in the microwave for 10 seconds – they’re definitely at their best when warmed!